boldlygoingnowhere

Crouching Monkey,Hidden Dentist

Saturday, March 11, 2006

The 'What If' ball

What with uncertainty, anxiety,wants and needs,fatigue and one thing or another, I've had to devise a coping strategy these past few months - and here it is.In my mind's eye, all my worries-some inane,some reasonably morbid-take on the form of little rough pebbles and rusty nuts and bolts. I pick them up and dump them in my "What If" ball.
The ball has various unique properties, not least of which is its ability to hover at eye height about a foot away from the left side of my head. It is there all the time, sometimes just slipping into my peripheral vision. The other special things about it are that only I can see it and that although it is the size of,say,an apple, its internal volume is infinite. Once placed inside, the contents cannot escape. When I want to examine something, I push my hand through the gooey membrane surface and grab the particular item I am looking for. As I withdraw my hand, the surface, see-through though with slight opacity, closes smoothly again.
There are past "What Ifs", present "What Ifs" and future "What Ifs", and the idea of the ball is to put them all away so that I can live in the here and now. If they're not put away, they cloud what is happening - which is a problem, because it is just starting to get quite interesting.

5 Comments:

  • At March 13, 2006 11:37 PM, Blogger A Chrysanthemum by any other name... said…

    What if there were no what-if ball? Will putting this idea in the what-if ball make it disappear?

     
  • At March 14, 2006 3:03 PM, Blogger Casablanca said…

    Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. But there is a slight problem... it always remains in the peripheral vision. Which means, its constantly there to worry you :(

     
  • At March 15, 2006 2:25 PM, Blogger dr.jinxed said…

    @chrys
    must u be picking holes in every bit of logic i try to come up with??not that this post was particularly logical

    @casa
    not a slight problem..quite major

     
  • At March 19, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Meiyang Chang said…

    All I can say is, the thoughts emanating from that jungle of a mind of yours are brilliant. What s required now is a thread of logic to tie them up together to be able to make ANY sense out of it. Its a roller coaster ride alrite, but its going nowhere!!!! Yet, I salute your prowess at the keyboard. Take a bow

     
  • At July 06, 2006 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if your writing speaks anything about your thnking, then you sure a a wonderful thinker!! :) an honest compliment this...from someone who is a die hard niggard at passing one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home